In a world filled with instant gratification and the creation of video content so easy, it’s killing the world’s love for reading in general. It’s valuable and important to help our children learn to love learning and find joy in reading. The following are some simple ways you can incorporate reading into your lives and help your children grow a strong fondness towards the pastime.
Read With Your Children Early and Often
Begin reading with your children even well before they can fully comprehend and appreciate the stories. This will form positive habits and build familiarity. This time can also be precious quality time spent with your little ones. Make the most of this time!
Help Find Books on Fun Topics
Unsurprisingly, children will be more interested in reading books on topics they are interested in and passionate about. A train-loving child will gravitate towards train books, and likewise for the dinosaur enthusiasts! Help your children experience the wealth of available knowledge and information at their disposal through books.
Let the Children Pick The Book
Library trips can be such a fun experience and give the children a chance to “window shop” a variety of books. Your children will likely be more enthusiastic if they have made the book selection for themselves.
Ask About Their Books
As your children are working their way through a book, ask what they think and what they like about the book. This can provide a chance for them to personally assess what they appreciate about what they are experiencing but also serve as a great chance for you to have a meaningful conversation with them. As they read they may be exposed to new ways of thinking or thought lines they haven’t previously encountered.
Make Book Reports Fun
Book reports are considered by many children to complete drudgery. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Book reports an important aspect of being able to assess comprehension ability and an opportunity to showcase creativity. Shelly Rees, an educator of over 20 years now creates these incredible book report ideas that can help turn something awful into something great for your children!
Reading is amazing and can open up worlds of possibility and entertainment for your children! Helping them learn to love that opportunity is a priceless gift to give them!
- She has been analyst, beauty expert, mom of 2, cook, teacher, content writer, and a reviewer with a passion to have a smart home with her husband. She often tests new things and gadgets that come into the market with the help of her team to review items. When she’s not at her computer, you can find her at her kitchen, busy with 2 kids, or maybe on Pinterest @xadiacashif where she likes to share about her lifestyle and work. Alternatively, try her email at email@example.com, and she’ll probably shoot you back a list of her favorite and latest gizmos.
- Parenting TipsNovember 26, 2023Importance of art and craft in child development
- Parenting TipsNovember 12, 2023Nurturing Mothers: The Rising Issue of Postpartum Depression and the Vital Role of Self-Care.
- FashionOctober 16, 2023Animal Print Leggings Fashion
- Parenting TipsOctober 16, 2023Babydekentje met naam: een uniek en liefdevol geschenk