Parents get confused while buying clothes for someone whom they have not seen yet. How could you buy a perfect fit for an unseen person? Like adults newborn babies come in different sizes in terms of weight and height. It is not necessary that size 0-3 fits every newborn baby. Do not worry our Babies Clothing sizes chart may help you choose the right one for your little bundle of joy from o month to 2 years of age. First of all, understand the meaning of baby cloth size name.
These clothes are designed for premature babies who arrive earlier than 9 months. This is is the smallest size in the market. It is also labeled as Size 00000. Do not buy more than 4 sets of clothes because the baby grows quickly and extra clothes are a waste of money.
The baby arrives at 9 months having a normal weight of 6 to 9 pounds and a length of 21.5 inches wears Size 0000. Do not buy more than 5 pairs of baby clothes for daily use and 2 for casual use.
Up to 3 months
Babies grow at different in terms of weight and length. A premature baby may grow faster than a normal baby. Babies 21.5 to 24 inches long and having 9 to 12.5 pounds of weight wear Size 000. As you have already some baby clothes add some new clothes according to your need.
3 to 6 months
Discard the small clothes and buy some bigger clothes of Size 00 for a baby having 17 pounds weight and 24 to 26.5 inches height.
6 to 9 months
Babies start to sit up and try to crawl at this age. There is a wide range of cute baby clothing options for Size 0. The baby gains up to 21 pounds and 28.5 inches in height.
9 to 12 months
Baby starts to stand up and try to walk and eat at their own with a sippy cup, feeder bottle. In these attempts baby, clothes get stains and you need one pair a day. So buy accordingly the Size 1 for a baby having a weight of up to 25 pounds and up to 30.5 inches long.
At this age, the baby enters toddlerhood. This is the period where you can use clothes for 6 months because grow at a slower rate and wear Size 1-2. The baby usually gets 25 to 28 pounds weight and 32.5 inches long.
It is 2 years of age and the size for baby clothes is called Size 2. The baby gets 28 and 30 pounds and 32.5 to 34 inches of height at this age.
Baby Cloth Size Buying Guide
- When you buy baby clothes, only size meaning does not matter. You must consider baby clothing size by weight of the baby as well. All babies grow and gain weight differently.
- Also, consider baby clothes size by length. Because it is also possible that a baby gets bulky and cheeky but short in length. And a longer baby with less weight.
- Baby clothes size also carry from brand to brand and all countries have different size standard. Google the brand size meaning before shopping.
- Be familiar with tag size so that you can differentiate between 0-3 and 3-6 of size 3.
- When you go for shopping, select your favorite baby clothes and then collect the number of required baby clothes by length instead of what just tag says. It will be easier to sort the suits used at the time of birth, at the age of 3 months and after 6 months, and so on.
- Some fabrics shrink after was and it may not fit the baby. So the material used in baby clothes also matter. Cotton is most vulnerable to shrinking. Also, check if the baby cloth is shrinking or baby size is increasing before buying another suit for the baby.
- When its warmer baby needs extra layering clothes. When you add bulky fabric like flannel or wool the outer layer may tightly fit the baby. If its winter season, then you should buy one size bigger for outer layer clothes like a jacket, hood, etc.
- If it is a warmer season, then it does not matter if baby clothes get shrink. Because the less the better in hot weather.
- Separate pants and shirts or short of small sizes (0000 and 000) may interface with the baby umbilical cord. So buy bodysuits or onesies for up to 3 months old babies. If it is winter you can layer with a T-shirt with press studs rather than buttons and a soft fabric pajama and pack the baby in a woolen sheet.
- Do not add an extra layer if you have the plan to hold the baby in a baby carrier, because it can heat up the baby’s skin.
Baby Clothes Size and Age Chart
|6 - 9 lbs
|0 to 3 months
|9 - 12.5 lbs
|21.5 - 24 in.
|3 to 6 months
|24 - 26.5 in.
|6 to 9 months
|9 to 12 months
|25 - 28 lbs
|28 - 30 lbs
|32.5 - 34 in.
- She has been analyst, beauty expert, mom of 2, cook, teacher, content writer, and a reviewer with a passion to have a smart home with her husband. She often tests new things and gadgets that come into the market with the help of her team to review items. When she’s not at her computer, you can find her at her kitchen, busy with 2 kids, or maybe on Pinterest @xadiacashif where she likes to share about her lifestyle and work. Alternatively, try her email at email@example.com, and she’ll probably shoot you back a list of her favorite and latest gizmos.
- Parenting TipsJanuary 19, 2024Celebrate in Style: Best 100 Days of School T-Shirt Ideas for Every Occasion
- Parenting TipsDecember 20, 2023Nurturing Love: Exploring the Infinite Reasons Why We Cherish Our Children
- Parenting TipsNovember 26, 2023Importance of art and craft in child development
- Parenting TipsNovember 12, 2023Nurturing Mothers: The Rising Issue of Postpartum Depression and the Vital Role of Self-Care.