A restless baby crying in the bassinet is a nightmare for parents. The environment of the house becomes tense and parents try their best to make the baby sleep at night when they already have spent a hectic day and want peace of mind and rest to the body. Whether it is midday or midnight, nothing looks perfect other than a sleeping baby. A calm and sleeping baby is a dream of every parent. But baby wants you to take her in your arm and they dramatically keep quiet and fall asleep when picking them up. New moms and dads fail to figure out that why baby hates sleeping in a bassinet or crib?
Causes that keep babies awake during the night
There may be many causes to spoil the mood of the little angel to be fussy.
- A wet or leaked diaper keeps the baby uncomfortable.
- They want to get feed because little tummy empties fast.
- Colic problems make it difficult for the baby to burp or pass gas and they can’t sleep.
- Crib Mattress feels cold to baby skin.
- Loose Swaddling makes your baby feel to be in an insecure environment.
If you are sure that there is no above mention mentioned cause for a baby to not sleep in a bassinet, then let me tell you that bassinet itself is not the reason that keeps your baby awake. In the best possible circumstances, newborn babies do not sleep tightly for more than 2 hours. So expect the baby to awake every 2 to 3 hours during the night for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Because they are unable to figure out day and night time.
What can you do to make the baby sleep in a crib or bassinet?
But if your baby still awakes more than 5 to 6 hours during the night or does not develop a sleeping cycle after 6 months, then you as a parent have to make some adjustments to the crib settings to make the baby more comfortable and familiar with the crib environment.
Keep Baby in a rocker bassinet
Newborn babies spent a long time in the womb where they feel soothing due to soft swaying, rocking, and gentle jostling and learn to sleep through movement. A static crib might be an uncomfortable transition for babies.
Attach the crib to Mom’s Bed
Baby loves the scent of mom and feels insecure in the bassinet alone. So instead of buying any fancy or vintage crib that makes the baby feel lonely, try to buy a crib that can be attached to the bed. Bedside cribs are the best option for cosleeping, breastfeeding, and introducing the baby to sleep train in a bassinet at the same time. I spent an uncomfortable first year with my first baby because she wanted me to keep her in my arms during night time and hated to sleep in a wooden crib. It was very annoying for me to get up and pick up the baby from the crib and in the end, she used to sleep with me in the bed. But now I m using a portable bedside bassinet plus rocker for my second baby. It makes nursing, sleeping, nappy changing, and organizing baby things way better. View more details on the bedside bassinet I am currently using for my second baby.
Keep the cribs mattress warm for babies
When feeding your baby in your lap, heat up the bassinet surface with a heating pad to make it cozy and soothing for the baby when you shift her from lap to bassinet.
The sleep position of a baby should be correct
Usually, babies feel uncomfortable when you sleep them on their back. So position them on the side so that they can smell and feel the mother’s presence easily.
Secure and tight swaddling
Before starting to breastfeed the baby to make her sleep, Tightly swaddle her in a sheet, that makes babies feel protected and they do not wake up in a secure environment.
Make some noise to keep the baby asleep
New moms think that baby needs silence to get sleep for a long time. But to your surprise babies are used to sleeping in noise and even better sleep when they listen to the constant sound of certain things like flushing water, or some kind of vibration. So you better use a noise machine for newborn babies to assist them in sleeping tighter.
- She has been analyst, beauty expert, mom of 2, cook, teacher, content writer, and a reviewer with a passion to have a smart home with her husband. She often tests new things and gadgets that come into the market with the help of her team to review items. When she’s not at her computer, you can find her at her kitchen, busy with 2 kids, or maybe on Pinterest @xadiacashif where she likes to share about her lifestyle and work. Alternatively, try her email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and she’ll probably shoot you back a list of her favorite and latest gizmos.
- Parenting TipsNovember 26, 2023Importance of art and craft in child development
- Parenting TipsNovember 12, 2023Nurturing Mothers: The Rising Issue of Postpartum Depression and the Vital Role of Self-Care.
- FashionOctober 16, 2023Animal Print Leggings Fashion
- Parenting TipsOctober 16, 2023Babydekentje met naam: een uniek en liefdevol geschenk