Does oily hair need to be washed every day? When I started searching about oily hair care routine it was confusing as well as very ambiguous without any proper solution. Then I asked about this problem with my hair expert and she guides me well to get less greasy hair without a daily hair wash routine. Personally, I have wavy hair with thick hair strands but during the warm and humid seasons, my scalp starts to produce sebum. But one of my sisters has been suffering from oily hair and she was unable to solve this problem on her own. She found the best shampoo for oily hair on the recommendation of a hairstylist and she suggested few hair products to my sister for oily hair. And surprisingly those ideas proved to be a game-changer for her greasy and flat hair.
Should I use a conditioner with oily hair?
Most people think that oily hair gets greasier with hair conditioner. This is true to some extent but if you apply hair conditioner properly, then it will give better results. Always apply hair conditioner to the hair shaft to re-balance the oil only because ingredients of conditioner clog the hair follicle and it may cause hair fall. When hair roots do not get the nourishments it weakens the hair and hair get to break off from the hair follicle. So use conditioner more carefully if you have oily hair.
The difference between Oily hair dandruff and dry scalp Dandruff
When you scratch your head and find white waxy gunk under your nails this is called scalp gunk or sebum. It forms a dandruff-like coating on the scalp but oily skin sebum flakes are small in size. While dry skin dandruff scales are large in size and they look sticky. Oily hair dandruff causes more itching and redness of scalp skin.
Root Cause of Oily Hair
First of all, you must be well aware of the actual cause of oily hair to address the problem more thoughtfully. Our skin produces a natural oil called sebum to keep skin hydrated and soft through sebaceous glands. And these glands are also present in scalp skin and a normal level of sebum forms a barrier on the hair cuticle and results in luster in the hair. However, if sebaceous glands of scalp skin overproduce the sebum then your hair starts to look greasy.
Removing the excess sebum can give you fresh bouncy hair. Because oily hair looks boring as they become heavy and gives a flat look. This oil attracts dust and pollutants more quickly and makes hair dull. This build-up increases the chance to affect the scalps with scalp yeast or fungal infection. The more severe condition results in Seborrheic dermatitis that causes itching on the scalp and flaky dandruff.
Some people say that their oily hair becomes clean and crisp for the time being but hair becomes flat and greasy after 24 hours. So they have to wash their hair every other day. But keep this fact in mind that when you wash hair with shampoo with the harsh chemical it strip off the essential moisture from the hair shaft and leave them dry. Choosing a shampoo is crucial because you have to sustain the balance between essential and excess oil. A shampoo with mild ingredients does not affect the hair strand with consecutive washes. Mainly Biotin, Zinc, and Vitamin B complex deficiency in the body may cause Seborrheic Dermatitis. So your shampoo must have zinc, azole agents, (selenium, and sodium sulfacetamide to fight Seborrheic Dermatitis. These elements work by dissolving the colonies of yeasts and inflammatory agents.
Causes of oily hair and Remedies to Re-balance oily scalp
1. Stress or depression may trigger sebum production through an androgen hormone in the body. So keep away from stress and live a healthy and happy life by focusing more on the positives in your life.
2. Eating disorders can cause the overproduction of sebum. If you eat too little or too much at strange hours and have no regular routine then try to fix it by regulating the eating schedule.
3. Increase the intake of Vitamin B to replenish scalp skin health.
4. There are shampoos that help to loosen up grease and dirt more warily without hurting the scalp.
5. Use gentle shampoo with more herbal extract than artificial extracts.
6. Early to sleep and early to rise routine will help to maintain balance in hormones and you will face fewer health problems.
7. Stay away from a humid environment as moist skin triggers yeast infection in the scalp if you already face an oily hair problem.
8. Wash your hair twice or thrice a week to maintain the hygienic condition of the scalp.
9. Use dry shampoo if you cannot wash your hair regularly.
10. Use weightless conditioners to oily hair.
Your hairstyle can also help to avoid flat-look due to oily hair. Go for more bangs, layers, and feather haircut for a fresh and chic appearance.
- She has been analyst, beauty expert, mom of 2, cook, teacher, content writer, and a reviewer with a passion to have a smart home with her husband. She often tests new things and gadgets that come into the market with the help of her team to review items. When she’s not at her computer, you can find her at her kitchen, busy with 2 kids, or maybe on Pinterest @xadiacashif where she likes to share about her lifestyle and work. Alternatively, try her email at email@example.com, and she’ll probably shoot you back a list of her favorite and latest gizmos.
- Parenting TipsNovember 26, 2023Importance of art and craft in child development
- Parenting TipsNovember 12, 2023Nurturing Mothers: The Rising Issue of Postpartum Depression and the Vital Role of Self-Care.
- FashionOctober 16, 2023Animal Print Leggings Fashion
- Parenting TipsOctober 16, 2023Babydekentje met naam: een uniek en liefdevol geschenk